My Friend is not returning my Money. Can I lodge police complaint?

My friend borrowed 1.5 Lacs from me(through online transfer). Now he is not returning the money. He didn’t pick my calls for almost one month. Later as I kept calling his office reception continuously for 1 week, he started answering my phone once in a while(Just to avoid me contacting his office reception) . Now he is postponing repayment saying one or the other reason. I have no faith in him. I have all evidence to prove he owes me 1.5 lakhs.

Can I lodge police complaint?

Add Comment
1 Answer(s)

1. You can use the police to make a call to your ex-friend to put pressure on him to recover the money

2. Normally the police will not register any complaint as there is no criminal offence involved here.

3. It appears that you have no loan agreement in place or a promisory note in place to prove that be it was a loan in the first place.

4. You can try sending a legal notice and take your chances and see if you can recover it

5. Normally, it’s a dead money with not much possibility of recovery.

6. To proceed through a civil court, it will cost you a lot of time and money which is not recommended.

7. Best advice is to forget your money and don’t lend in future. This is because recovery of money is very difficult even when you have evidences on your side. Your friend can always take a position that it was a gift, donation etc

India does not have a strong small claims tribunal to deal with such small monetary cases and that’s why legal action in such small cases is mostly a waste of time and money #loan

Answered on July 6, 2018.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.